Saturday, January 26, 2013

Snubbed, But Not Forgotten

Many great films are either a) ignored or b) forgotten by the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts of Sciences. Unfortunately, we can't be all award-winners, but maybe the real award is the longevity and resonance of the film. A filmmaker may have to wait 50 years or so for that particularly award, but that's beside the point. On to the show…

Harold and Maude (1971)

Unlike some films that reach for the gold and fall short, Harold and Maude didn't even try for recognition. It's not really the Academy's style, anyway, what with its macabre sense of humor and overall bohemian quality. But I honestly doubt that the director Hal Ashby or the writer Colin Higgins cared a whit about awards. This film is truly an original, an exultation of the free spirit. Not only does it celebrate life, but it celebrates living life the way only you can live it, without fear for others' opinions of you. Movies like that are becoming scarce, methinks. Plus, add in my favorite musician Cat Stevens and a brilliant scene set to my favorite song "Trouble" and you've got a true winner. Also, let me just say that Maude is one of my role models.

Yellow Submarine (1968)

Though certainly a landmark in animation, Yellow Submarine came before the establishment of the Best Animated Feature category and was thus ignored. This film perfectly encapsulates 60's psychedelia whilst skillfully employing some of the Beatles' greatest tunes. I don't think before than that people had dared to be as wacky or wildly imaginative with the art form of animation. I imagine its release was like one Picasso painting in a gallery of realist portraits. Whenever I went on a plane ride, my dad would hand me this movie, and though I never quite knew what was happening, I loved every minute. In retrospect, maybe such an acid-fueled trip wasn't the best entertainment for a five-year-old, but I guess I've always had a penchant for the bizarre.

Eve's Bayou (1997)

Eve's Bayou is like one of the greatest American novels brought to screen. Except, the beauty is that it is completely original. And by that I mean everything is original; from the story to the characters to the filming techniques. The history of Eve's family and home is so rich and detailed you can tell that director Kasi Lemmons savored weaving this tale. Also, Eve herself is simply a wonderful, plucky girl, almost like another Scout Finch. The ending of this film left me feeling uneasy, and full of moral confusion that lingered within me for days, as the best films do. While I understand that the film was too tiny to get noticed by the Academy, I do think it was one of the best pieces of cinema  during those years and did wish that Lemmons at least got a screenwriting nomination.

No comments:

Post a Comment