Sunday, August 26, 2012

Farewell, Summer

I was happy that this summer I managed to somewhat complete my goal that I was too lazy to do last year (I'm glaring at you, younger self); watch two movies a day. While I couldn't squeeze them in every day, I was on that basic track, and thus had the most cinema-filled season of my life up to this point. Here's the list of the films I watched, and I'll *asterisk my new favorites.
1. Rebel Without a Cause
2. East of Eden
3. His Girl Friday
4. Harry and Tonto
5. Alice
6. Adam's Rib*
7. Woman of the Year*
8. A Patch of Blue*
9. Adaptation.*
10. Intouchables
11. Giant*
12. The Seven Year Itch
13. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
14. Becket
15. At the Circus
16. Being John Malkovich*
17. Arsenic and Old Lace
18. Broadway Danny Rose
19. The Diary of Anne Frank*
20. The Celluloid Closet
21. Tiny Furniture
22. Whale Rider*
23. As Good as It Gets
24. Holiday
25. Love Actually*
26. Barefoot in the Park*
27. The Miracle Worker*
28. Ran
29. Brave
30. Carmen Jones
31. Kiss of the Spider Woman*
32. Notting Hill
33. Children of a Lesser God*
34. The Bicycle Thief
35. Radio Days*
36. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
37. Tender Mercies*
38. The Awful Truth
39. Two for the Road*
40. Rocky
41. 3 Women
42. Reds
43. Working Girl*
44. Love and Death*
45. Sleeper*
46. Groundhog Day
47. All the President's Men
48. A League of Their Own*
49. Three Coins in the Fountain
50. The Accidental Tourist
51. Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth
52. On the Waterfront
53. The Toll of the Sea
54. Ruby Sparks*
55. The Last Laugh
56. Capote
57. Absence of Malice
58. Un Chien Andalou
59. About a Boy
60. Seven Up!
61. Four Weddings and a Funeral
62. Five Easy Pieces
63. George Harrison: Living in the Material World
64. The Barefoot Contessa*
65. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari*
66. It*
67. Seven Chances
68. Nosferatu, A Symphony of Horror*
69. Sherlock, Jr.*
70. The Navigator*
71. Our Hospitality
72. Steamboat Bill, Jr.
73. The Black Pirate
74. Diary of a Lost Girl*
75. Cool Hand Luke*
76. The Verdict
77. The Red Shoes*
78. The Invisible Man
79. Metropolis*
80. Bullets over Broadway
81. College
82. Wings*
83. The Pianist*
84. Manhattan Murder Mystery

I found this experience to be exceedingly helpful in defining myself as a "cinephile." It really affirmed my passion for cinema, and now I'm honestly confused as to what I did with my time before this summer. Whoever says watching movies is a waste of time obviously has no grasp of all the art, culture, and history they contain (seriously, I probably know more about Germany and Roaring Twenties America than I ever did before). They're as educational as books, and equally fun (yes, I am a nerd. Haven't you noticed?). I'm beyond sad to have to part with watching films so often, and what with the insanity of sophomore year, who knows how many movies I can eke out?

So, thank you, cinema. I will remember the summer of 2012 in scenes and scores and scripts.

No comments:

Post a Comment