Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Mini Reviews

The speed at which I watch movies and write reviews obviously do not correlate, so I will commence writing miniature reviews for the movies I've watched over the past month or so.


The Hustler  (1961)
I love me some Paul Newman, and this film only helped to make me love him more. Everything about this film was so perfectly done. The character of "Fast" Eddie Felson must have been so incredible to explore for Newman, and I do believe it is his best performance. From the beginning prologue, this world is so engrossing that it's often hard to look away. For someone who doesn't like or understand pool, the sport is completely secondary, but adds an interesting motif to the story. Piper Laurie is an absolute marvel, and it saddens me that she didn't become a bigger star; she had the look and the chops, but the wrong timing. George C. Scott, in what is his first major screen performance, is so smarmy that I wanted to spit in his face, a good job on his part. The almost neo-realistic style is also worth noting, as it really gives it an ageless and modern feel. Definitely one of my favorites henceforth.

Rebel Without a Cause (1955)
With perhaps as much passion as I loved The Hustler, I disliked Rebel. I can see how it must have been fresh and exciting and revolutionary back in that time frame, but now it's oddly dated. Now, instead of feeling like it captures teen angst, it feels like an adult's idea of teen angst. I mean, the main character gets angry because he's called chicken. Really? Could there have not been a better impetus for conflict than that? However, I do grasp the social importance and how it must have been viewed at the time. But I expect a classic to feel as innovative today as it did during its release. Although I did like Natalie Wood and Sal Mineo in their roles, even if the characters themselves felt a bit idiosyncratic. I could not stand James Dean at all, I'm sorry to say.

East of Eden (1955)
Right as I was on the verge of permanently disliking James Dean, I watched this movie. The only reason I had a Dean double feature was because I got a box set of Great Classic Romances from the TCM shop with them included, though the romances are more of the subplot in both. I liked East of Eden a thousand times more. It was beautifully photographed and costumed, and the theme of parental acceptance felt way more real. I enjoyed every piece of acting, even James Dean. I think I need to watch his last film, Giant (1956), to fully form an opinion about him, but now I can see his talent. Jo Van Fleet, who won an Oscar for her role, was both hard to watch yet strangely captivating.
His Girl Friday (1940)
My love for screwball comedies knows no bounds, and while this one is definitely not amongst my favorites, I had a rollicking good time watching it. The once married couple of Walter Burns and Hildy Johnson were such a blast to watch as they quipped and traded witty one-liners together. Saying that the dialogue is fast is a massive understatement; it shoots along a train's pace. I would be lying if I said that I didn't get lost in the plot at several points, but I think this a movie that I'll grow to love with further viewings, once I get my bearings with the rapid-fire lines. And as the film concerns the newspaper business, that gave me a special affinity for it, as I am on my school's newspaper. It made me proud to have at least a trickle of insight into the film's world.
Harry and Tonto (1974)
In his acceptance speech for Best Actor for this film, Art Carney called the screenplay "a gem," which is completely accurate. It consists solely of quiet little moments between people, strung together by a road trip plot. It is lovely in every regard, from the beautiful music to the tender characters. It's also very 70's in tone and culture, which only reaffirms my love for the historical content film brings. The film is completely character-driven, and every character could have his or her own movie and still be fascinating. I am amazed at how the writers made a story about an old man and his cat so beautiful and effortlessly watchable. That last scene would make even the most stoic individual choke up, as it represents moving on, which, let's be honest, is something every fears slightly.
Alice (199)
This film is simply magical (literally)! Woody Allen's movies are always something of a stress reliever, so fun to watch and lose myself. Alice is one of his whimsical ones, and definitely one of his most underrated. I can't believe it's not mentioned more, because I'd consider it on par with The Purple Rose of Cairo. Both are simple and fantastical, blending real life problems with enchantment seamlessly, and both have Mia Farrow. As with all Woody Allen movies, this one has a superb cast; William Hurt, Judy Davis, Alec Baldwin, Blythe Danner, and so on. Everyone does a great job in an Allen film because his dialogue is so rich, and this one is no exception. Baldwin's scene was brief, but it was easily my favorite part of the entire movie. And I could listen to Mia Farrow recite the alphabet and be lulled into gawking admiration.
Adam's Rib (1949)
It's truly amazing how ahead of its time this movie was, with its outright promotion of feminism before it was even a concept. It also contains probably the most wonderful married couple in the history of romantic comedies, Adam and Amanda Bonner, who refer to each other as "Pinky" and "Pinkie," respectively. As their personal and professional lives get tangled in this court case, hilarity ensues as well as affecting commentary on women's equality and the foundation of marriage. Judy Holliday is both hilarious and heartbreaking in her role, and I'm really growing to appreciate what a comic genius she was (everyone should check out Born Yesterday [1950]. She's so great in that). Adam's Rib is a great movie that I'm excited to rewatch in a while to laugh and sigh all over again.

Woman of the Year (1942)
This movie was also way ahead of its time in its portrayal of the working woman and the discussion of authority in marriage. It's also quite subtly steamy for a 40's comedy. I'm really surprised it's not on more "Best" lists. I think it's really a perfect romantic comedy, historical for being the first of collaborations between Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn. They are a perfect duo, and it's obvious that they're having fun as the two lovebirds. Hepburn is always a treat to watch, but she outdoes herself as socialite Tess Harding. Gosh, how can she just keep getting better? And Spencer Tracy, whom I've seen very little, does a wonderful job. Now I kind of want him as my husband…

And that has been my film consumption for the past few weeks, though I may be forgetting a few. I'm saving Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958) for a much longer, more in depth post, because I love it so much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment